2008-12-06

HP Laserjet 1020 and Casio EX-Z80 on Ubuntu 8.10

A few notes on two devices I tried today.

The printer, HP LaserJet 1020, was a bit odd. Once I plugged it in, Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) seemed to recognize it and installed drivers. But when I sent a test page it was never printed. There were no error messages or anything, though. This thread on Ubuntu Forums helped. The relevant part:
  1. sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
  2. Delete earlier printer setup in System->Administration->Printing
  3. sudo hp-setup, next->next->next
  4. System->Administration->Printing, right-click on the printer icon, make sure that it's enabled
Once again, my thanks to those who provided this information on the forums. You saved me a lot of hassle.

The camera, Casio EX-Z80, worked without problems. It was instantly recognised by Ubuntu and data transfer worked nicely.

No comments: